Tuesday, May 17, 2011

what's in a name?

     I'm Emily. Wanza. Sammy. Grew up as Emma though. I changed my name to Emily Wanza on my baptismal day. Why?? Because my granny is called Emma Wanza, I don't want to be my granny! Reasons well known by me. But changing it to Emily didn't change anything, people in ushago still ask "huyu ndio Emma?" I am me! I am not my granny!
  Last month I went to apply for a new Identity Card. I lost the first one and it's took ages to be replaced. so I thought applying for a new one may get me one faster. Carried my result slips, birth certificate, school certificates basically every doc I have..and Yes, my dad's ID. I found a lady; she was nice, initially.
While filling the form, she asked me for my full names and I blurted out "Emily Wanza Sammy!" she looked at me and ask that one question I hate,
Her,  "are you white?"
Yes, thanks to the 3rd name, people ask me that a lot. Then she followed it up with the statement I've heard a lot.
her, "wakamba mnapenda kujiita majina ya baba zenu za kizungu sana."
I really needed the ID so I chose to act cool.  She wrote down "Emilly Wanza Samy."

Me, "it's singe L for Emily and double M for Sammy."
She gave me that -you-think-you-smart-huh?- look, took another form and wrote the correct name. Then she asked for my dad or husband's  ID, you know, to fill in the locations and stuff, what she did made me freeze, literally. pushed the forms away and removed her glasses.
 Her, "msichana unaniona mimi mjinga?"
Me, "why"
Her, "Samuel Musyoki ni nani?"
Me, now puzzled, "that's my dad."
Her, "Sammy ni nani?"
Me, "that's my dad...."
Her, "Samuel and Sammy can't be the same person."
Me, "I can explain.."
Her," No, i don't want your explanation."
Me, "so, what do you want me to do?"
Her, "go bring me Sammy's ID. Your father's"

Yep, my dreams of getting a new ID shattered. Guess I'll have to wait for the replacement. When I applied for an ID in 2005, they never really asked questions.

You are probably wondering why I use Sammy and not Samuel, or why I don't use Musyoki. After my mum gave birth to me, when filling out the certificate she wrote my name as Wanza Sammy. She knew my dad as Sammy. Musyoki is my granddad, I can't use my granddad's name. What's my dad's Kamba's name??? DON'T ASK!

Another thing, my boss writes may name as Wanja, my neighbors call me Wanja, our drivers call me Wanja, guess I'll never know why.

Every Certificate i have carries the name Sammy as the surname..will I ever need to submit my dad's ID for anything in the future?? NO?? Guess that woman can go suck whatever!


Me, "mum, how did it not occur to you that Sammy was a nickname when you applied for my birth certificate?"
 Her, "I was confused."
Me, "but the rest (siblings) carry the same name, Sammy. were you still confused when you gave birth to them?
Her *chuckles* "how would you feel if the rest carried the name Samuel while yours was Sammy?"
 Me, "I'd think I was adopted."
Her, "exactly!"
 Me, "so, if dad's name was Moses, would you have written my name as Wanza Mose?"
Her, "don't push it!"

I love my mum. LOL

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to this because I too changed my name and had issues getting a national ID and a passport too. But your story is waay funnier! I use my mother's maiden name so the only time I have name issues is when I'm attacked by father's side of the family because apparently using your mother's maiden name as your surname is unmanly and unafrican. HA!

    PS: Your mum's sway FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ID incident sorta surprised me. I never knew the difference would be an issue. Always thought it'd be obvious to people that Sammy is short for Samuel...

    Using your mum's maiden name is eyebrow raising..we live in communities where they'd rather you use your grand dad's name than use your mum's. How that affects one's way of living, i don't know.

    ReplyDelete